Generally, I am interested in the questions of where we come from, how and why did social and cultural change happen, and where we are heading. Here are some big questions that keep me awakened and motivated:
1) Why do conflicts happen throughout human history, between and among people, states, religions, communities and individuals? Can we find ways to mitigate conflicts and live peacefully together and then even better cooperate?
2) What makes a country rise or decline? What makes an individual or a firm rise or decline?
Can different entities rise or decline peacefully?
3) What drives economic growth and development which are crucial to the livelihood of the vast majority of humanity? How can we grow economics in a sustainable, just and inclusive way that co-exists with the environment and other species peacefully and benefit the entire humanity?
4) Why and how does change and evolution of human societies happen? In particular, what are the driving forces that have propelled the different waves of profound economic, social and cultural, romantic and sexual transformations between the late 19th and 21st centuries?
5) How could we improve the existing research methods to tackle these big questions? How can we present these questions and issues more effectively via music and arts?
To tackle these big questions, I break them down into smaller, manageable questions and research areas.